Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Only Kale Can Save Us Now.

Kale Chips
     Kale or Cow? I choose kale, even if I pronounce both the same way. Kevin @ Veganbrew.com made these for me the first time and I sniffed my nose at them, but after tasting them they were delicious. Not only is kale one of the most nutritious greens, it helps to satiate my potato chip addiction (specifically the Jalapeno ones from Kettle). My Spring CSA from Utah's Bell Organic had me loaded with greens out my ears. I've been eating lots of salads, but I couldn't keep up so I decided to make kale chips to make sure I didn't waste anything. Although, it still feels kinda wasteful to make chips out of kale, I would prefer it stir-fried or gingered like this, this is an easy way to use up your greens. I've tried it with mustard greens as well with similar results. I'll post the pictures after the recipe. Oh, and the title comes from a shirt from Herbivore Clothing Company.
Kale Before Chipping
Make Your Own Kale Chips
gather a bunch of kale, wash and destem (mustard greens stems are easier to eat, however, kale stems become really tough after cooling, though right out of the oven is fine), 
place the kale on a baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes at 400 degrees
remove from the oven and spray with cooking spray
sprinkle with salt and 1 TBS of nutritional yeast
*tip it is easier to coat the kale with the nutritional yeast if placed in a bag.
Mustard Green Chips
 Mustard Greens Before Chipping

No comments: