Thursday, January 13, 2011

Mele Kalikimaka

Coconut Pancakes with Pineapple Sauce


     In the winter months, a homemade breakfast is a rarity. I'm always checking the forecast, anxiously waiting the next storm and heading to the hill. I used the lull in storms to stay home and make a breakfast that didn't come out of a box. When it comes to breakfast, I generally reach for one of my all time favorite cookbooks, Isa's Vegan Brunch. The recipes are so easy, don't require lots of ingredients and nearly everything I've made has come out amazing. But this comes from her first cookbook Vegan with Vengeance. It's a recipe I've been meaning to try for a while.
     I read cookbooks like people read magazines. I always have pages marked and web browser tabs open.  In the end, I have more recipes to try than days in the week, but I tend to forget what I want to make. I tried a new tactic to combat my forgetfulness: writing the recipes on a dry erase board that hangs on my fridge.

     I wasn't successful. It took a month or two for me to get around to it but I'm glad I did because they were delicious. The batter was simple and just required folding in some shredded coconut to a traditional pancake recipe.
     The star of this recipe was the pineapple sauce. Basically, a can of pineapple in juice with some tapioca starch added and then heated up. Viola! Instant yummyness. I want to try making this sauce with other fruits (cherries! peaches!). But don't tell maple syrup.

No comments: