Thursday, December 16, 2010

I'll be on the corner eating nothing a la mode.

Homemade Pumpkin Ice Cream with Homemade Organic and Fair Trade Hot Fudge Sauce

 
     When I first went vegan, I was stoked there was vegan ice cream, even moon pies. Looking back on it, I can't believe I was ever excited for Rice Dream. It's still surprising that stores sell and and people continue to buy it. Luckily, vegan ice cream has come a long way. From cookie dough, turtle tracks and rocky road, not to mention the milk alternatives from soy, coconut and even hemp. So why did I decide to go D.I.Y. and make my own? Good question, but as Doomtree's Dessa says..."because the rest weren't D.I.ing it at all...". Okay, that didn't make any sense so on to the ice cream.

    There are just two vegan ice cream cook(recipes?) books: Lick It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love and The Vegan Scoop:  150 Recipes for Dairy-Free Ice Cream That Tastes Better Than The "Real" Thing. After much research, I decided to go with Lick It! and I haven't been disappointed. I also bought the ice cream maker that Bryanna Clark recommended, the Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence. Here it is in action making the vanilla ice cream for cookie dough ice cream.


    The base for most of the recipes I've made use half coconut milk and half soymilk (I use my own homemade soymilk). It takes about 20 minutes and when it comes from the machine, it has a soft serve consistency. However, once in the freezer, it gets quite hard with frozen yogurt it's rock hard (maybe that's cause I used homemade soy yogurt). I just leave it out or put in in the oven for a couple minutes.

    (Naked) Pumpkin Ice Cream

     I used my own pumpkin puree, which I'll write about soon. I would definitely make this again, but the recipe calls for maple syrup as a sweetener. Not only is this expensive, it created a more mellow flavor. I think I'll try using organic and fair trade brown sugar next time. As for the hot fudge sauce, it was yummy, and slightly grainy from the cocoa powder. The trick is not to let the sauce get too warm; otherwise, it's more like a chocolate sauce than fudge. I froze my plate for the picture and when the fudge it the plate it was excellent. Perhaps lukewarm fudge sauce is a better name.

Up Next: Cumin-Lime Tofu with Brown Basmati Rice.




No comments: