Friday, May 9, 2014

I'm Loving It At The Global Vegan Empire Loving Hut

 Savory Crepe Filled With Cheese And Mushrooms
So delicious! 
     Okay, so I teased you thinking I was going to review one of the best restaurants I've ever been to, Le Potager du Marais, but the pictures don't seem to be on my computer so I might have to do some digging. Moving over to the global vegan empire of loving hut might be a little bit of a disappointment, but I was impressed. Since this is my first post about Paris, after covering the amazing Berlin with Lucky Leek, La Mano Verde, Mio Matto and Kopps (and the Berlin vs. Paris battle of the vegan grocery store), Let me first counter the myth that Parisians are rude. Not only were Parisians awesome, but incredibly friendly and helpful. And it was delightful to be vegan in Paris. Not only was vegan paris day going on, but a plethora of compassionate restaurants to choose from. While it might be surprising we choose Loving Hut (we don't have one here in Utah so that was a draw) and not to mention that it was one of the only places on the menu that had a vegan savory crepe on the menu and a cheese plate. Crepes are ubiquitous all over Paris, and seems like the quintessential Parisian treat, so I had to indulge, even if it's owned by someone calling herself a Supreme Master, but with food this delicious I might be willing to follow. 


Vegan Cheese Sampler Plate
Yup, A Cheese Plate in Paris! 
     The savory crepe was perfection and gushing with cheese and mushrooms. This was exactly why we wanted to visit Loving Hut, not only was it close to the subway, but it provided the perfect Parisian experience. To top things off, we started with a vegan cheese sampler plate. How's that for cliche, Huffington Post? The cheeses were awesome and provided a good tasting of what I believe to be vegusto cheese, something we don't get in the states (or at least in Salt Lake). Yes, it was good just by itself or even better paired with the crusty slices of baguette that accompanied the dish. Back when I went vegan, I never thought I would be eating vegan cheese by itself. The only thing missing was a glass of wine, which unfortunately the loving hut is a dry restaurant.
New York Crisps
Crispy, Crunchy and Yummy! 
     Beside the cheese plate, we decided to try the crispy breaded chicken aka New York Crisps. In my opinion the fake meats from loving hut are one of the the reasons I like that place. If that's not your thing, there's still plenty to love at loving hut. Breaded and fried fake chicken with a tangy tomato dipping sauce.Sometimes simple is just what is in order.Not to mention, this taste like the real thing, so much so I bet you could fool a meat eater just like Beyond Meat did on Good Morning America. 


Quiche  
Killer Quiche!
    With the appetizers figured out, it was a given that the crepe had to be ordered. We almost ordered two but decided to branch out into the rest of the menu. The vegan quiche caught my eye. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen a vegan version on any menu ever so we decided to give it a go. The quiche was delightful, like a bunch of crepe pilled on top of each other, but denser and without the cheese. I was pleasantly surprised, but damn if that savory crepe didn't keep eyeing me. Luckily, the special one and I switched plates so we could share each meal.
Durian Fruit and Taro Sorbet 
Durian Fruit
      I'm always willing to try new things. To be honest, I love it and it's no secret that my sweet teeth always have room for dessert. I've never heard of durian fruit before, so I had to give it a try. They had a lot of other flavors, but I went with the two unique flavors I found, taro root in purple and durian fruit the yellow. When I ordered our awesome server asked me if I ever had it.  I hadn't and he warned me that some people don't like it. Not to mention, it's banned in asian hotels because it's so smelly. While the sorbet didn't smell, I loved the funk that it had, kinda like the sour beers that I've been all about lately. The special one didn't care for it that much, but I would get this again. The taro root was also delectable and was like a sweet version of the root. 
 

No comments: