Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Equator Action

Mango Slaw Over Broiled Tofu Fillets And Pineapple Fried Rice
     Unlike most people, I have no problem with winter. I guess it's my love for snow, but I decided to bring the Equator closer to my kitchen anyway. I bought a used copy of this cookbook, The Tropical Vegan, months ago from amazon. I recently realized it was just collecting dust so I started to flip through it. I've always wanted to make fried rice. The grilled tofu with mango slaw seemed like a perfect match, except that I don't have a grill. Doh!
 Pineapple Fried Rice
      Wow. I never realized how much work something as seemingly simple as fried rice is. Not to mention the rice, which I made the night before. The recipe has three different times where bunches of stuff are added, just a few minutes apart. I took all the separate ingredients and combined them in three different bowls so I could pay more attention to the cooking. This is when a prep chef would come in handy. What really makes this recipe is the pineapple (of course) and the raisins. The first time I had this I thought it was great, but not so much the second day. Still, a decent way to make rice more interesting and more time consuming to make. Oh and since white rice makes me feel naughty I used brown basmati.
Broiled Tofu 
      Not exactly the most appealing name, but since I live in an apartment and can't have a grill this will suffice. This was a relatively easy way to make tofu. The marinade just requires toasted sesame oil, soy sauce and black pepper. I left it on overnight. The results were pretty good, but the texture isn't what most people think of tofu. It was more buttery than firm. For a more familiar version, maybe try freezing the tofu. I happened to like the texture. It reminded me of the Spice Roasted Tofu Fillets from my favorite restaurant, Horizons. Follow the first link for the recipe.
Mango Slaw
     What really made the tofu dish shine was the mango slaw. I wanted to use fresh mango, but they didn't seem to be cooperating with me when I buy them. Does anyone know any secrets to mango buying? This was the star of the entree. I would make this again to top tempeh, tofu, and seitan with it. The chili sauce even gives a nice heat to it. The slaw isn't really thick so on the second day so I tried adding some cornstarch. It coated the tofu nicely, but I think I like it as is. I even had some leftover that I just poured over some leftover brown rice and it was excellent.

2 comments:

Kaycee said...

Wow! All of your food looks amazing! My mouth is watering! Kylie told me about your blog, and it's great! I have a blog too if you want to check it out, looking forward to your future posts and trying your recipes.
Vegan Machine

Joe Snow said...

thanks! i've been following the machine for a while and I have the jalapeno poppers on my recipe list.